Veruschka

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hairy Situation

What makes a good hair style?  Is it the cut?  Is it the color?  Do you follow the latest hair trends?  As we get older does our taste change?  Is there such a thing as age appropriate hair?  Why is your hairstyle so important?
 I recently decided to change my hair color.  I went from black to blond.  Oh I don’t know maybe I wanted to see if blonds do have more fun.  Unfortunately for me, they do not.  I think I have always had an obsession with hair ever since I was able to style my own hair.  I grew up in the 80’s and let me tell you there wasn’t a hairstyle I didn’t have.  All the way down to a bad perm circa 1985.  I think it's because I have the soul of a hair stylist.   
Much like clothes your hair should be a reflection of who you are.  It’s the first thing people see about you.  Some of us have hair dos and some of us have hair don’ts.  Sometimes we rely on what we see in popular culture.  Past hair styles that created a sensation were the Farrah, the Dorothy Hamill and the Rachel.  I do have a friend that shall remain nameless who even had that famous Flock of Seagulls hairdo.  The current buzz these days is the asymmetrical wedge cut that Olivia Wilde dons in Tron: Legacy.  This is a new take on a classic hairstyle. 
According to a recent British poll, the average woman spends $50,000 on her hair over a lifetime.  That price is pretty staggering.     Men seem to spend less on their hair than women do.  I think it’s because the average guy can go into a Supercuts and get a cut for about $16 dollars.   However, men tend to get it cut more often than women do.  Some men are on a schedule of every two weeks or so.  In these tough economic times are we spending less on hair or are we sacrificing other luxuries in our life to maintain a well groomed look?  I mean we all need to cut our hair at some point unless you plan on looking like Cousin It from The Addams Family.
A hairstyle is one that should fit your face and your personality.  Have some fun with it.  Hair should be an extension of you.  In the end it is only hair and it will grow back.  Eventually even that bad perm I had grew out.

        

3 comments:

  1. I tried every hairstyle except I haven't gone bald yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried every hairstyle but I haven't gone bald yet.

    ReplyDelete