Veruschka

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Winter Fantasy

Winter is almost here.  Even here in the city of Angels, we Angelenos have felt the chill.  It seems like we’ve been chilling for quite some time now.  We didn’t get much of a summer and just when it was getting warmer here comes winter.  I guess we are lucky living here in Los Angeles.  We don’t experience the seasons like they do on the east coast.  Nonetheless it is December and Christmas is a few weeks away.  So how do we dress for winter?  Rachel Zoe says the key to navigating winter is layering.  How much should you layer?  Is there such a thing as too much layering?
I don’t know about you but I get cold easily so I tend to side with Rachel’s theory.  Last week I went to two evening events that were cold.  The first was an outdoor World AIDS Day event and the other was a holiday party.  I donned a black leather jacket with a black scarf and knitted gloves to keep my fingers warm to both events.  I know you’re thinking you wore the same thing two nights in a row but I’m a smart dresser.  I made sure no one who was at one event saw me at the next night’s event.  I did manage to pull out my Yves Saint Laurent boots for the holiday party and paired it with Roberto Cavalli jeans.  I just repeated the jacket, scarf and glove number.  OK, that is my confessional for the day.
The best part about colder weather is you can break out your favorite boots and rock them.  Ladies, you know this is true.  I commonly refer to this as boot weather.  They’re easy to wear just zip and go.  Scarves and hats are great accessories.  Just be careful not to overdo it.  I was at Forever 21 at Americana last week and I saw this, what looked like a wool tube top that was a scarf of some sorts.  I think that may be a little too much unless you’re going skiing for the weekend or you have an unusually large neck.  Select a scarf that is not to thin but one that will keep your neck warm.   Not too long either.  You wouldn’t want it to get caught on something and choke you to death.  Knitted caps and felt hats can also be fun to play with.  They say heat escapes from your head so why not look good keeping it warm.  Just make sure that it fits your head correctly.  I can't emphasize this enough.  Depending on your warmth scale and where you’re going you can wear a quilted jacket or my personal favorite a wool jacket.   I really cherish my wool military inspired A/X jacket but I digress.
Remember to think about all the factors when deciding your warmth scale.  Layer yourself if you need to just keep in mind you have to function in it. 
Talking about all this cold weather is making me glad I’m heading o Puerto Rico in a few weeks.  What can I say I do better in warmer climates.  Well not really.  I complain in heat too.  Stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment