Veruschka

Monday, December 6, 2010

Let's Get Physical

After many weeks of being on hiatus, I have returned to blog again.  Today’s topic is gym fashion.  What is gym fashion really?  I go to Gold’s Gym here in Hollywood and let me tell you I have seen several “unique” outfits in my 6 year membership.  The ratio of men to women is about 90% male and 10% female.  I  myself am comfortable with wearing workout pants, a tee shirt and sometimes  I throw on a hat because let’s face it I have some Don King issues when I wake up in the morning.  It amazes me what some people wear to workout in.   I see some women who come in full regalia, makeup, perfume and a revealing outfit.  Don’t get me wrong more power to you but this is a gym and no one cares what you wear and at Gold’s in Hollywood the majority of men there are gay.  If anything you’ll get critiqued about what you are wearing and no one is going to ask you for your number.  The men on the other hand let loose as well.  I’ve seen some guys wearing 1980’s, Richard Simmons Dolphin shorts that leave nothing to the imagination.  Really?  How can you possibly move in that without showing brain?  I have seen some spandex too.  I recently saw a guy wearing a unitard.  He had a nice body but a unitard?  And on another note don’t wear jeans and a dress shirt, like you’re going out to the club.  I know sometimes they have a DJ at the gym but save it for after hours. 
The shirts I’ve seen or lack there of have also been interesting to view.  There’s the muscle shirt with the sides cut almost completely out so that when you move you can pretty much see their complete chest and abs.  At that point just take off the shirt already.  Then there is my favorite the  tank top with the plunging  neck line.  I can't help but wonder are they really working out or working it? 
Wear sensible shoes.  It amazes me when I see guys wearing flip flops to workout in?  I mean I had to look around and make sure I wasn’t at the beach.  Did I miss that email?  Are we on muscle beach?
The bottom line is dress like you’re there to workout and not to parade yourself like a Shetland pony.  Just think about what you’re wearing before you leave to the gym.  There many factors to consider , like the weather and what kind of a workout you’re planning that day.  The whole workout craze started almost 30 years ago with Jane Fonda.  We’ve come a long way in terms of the way we perceive our bodies and what we eat.  Let’s not forget what to wear when we hit the gym.
   

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen Black Swan? Dancer fashion looks chic and comfortable to workout in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen it yet but I want to. There has been a lot of dancer inspired dresses that are coming out because of this movie.

    ReplyDelete