Veruschka

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Trains, Planes and Automobiles

When traveling abroad or taking a simple road trip the dilemma is always the same, "what clothes do I bring"?  This is never an easy task.  Do you bring just important outfits?  Do you bring clothes for the amount of days you’ll be gone.  Do you bring several options or if you’re like me do you just bring everything and figure it out when you’ve arrived at your destination?
I have had the great opportunity to travel the world for the last 6 years and every time my trip looms closer I dread packing!  I always think of all the factors that play a role in my decision making.  What’s the weather like?  Am I going to experience the local nightlife?  Will there be dinner engagements that I might want to attend?   Will I partake in some excursions?  Do I want to bring outfits that go from day into evening?  The list goes on and on.   No matter how well I think I’ve packed there is always that one outfit or pair of shoes that I should have brought but didn’t.  Usually the night before I go into my closet and literally just throw everything in there on the floor and then from there I condense it enough to fit in my suitcase.  It looks like a sea of couture land mines.  Oh yeah never drink while packing to ease the pain.  I did that last year for my trip to Israel and once I got into my hotel room in Tel Aviv I opened my luggage and said, "what the hell did I bring"?  I am traveling to Puerto Rico in a few weeks and I have to think about what to pack.  I think I have the solution, mental packing.  I have already been doing some mental packing and this seems to help. 
My advice to you is to take some time and really think about what’s in your closet.  Take a mental inventory of what you have.   You know what you have in there and what works.  If you feel the need to go shopping then do so but I highly recommend to just stick with what you have in your closet.  These are tough economic times and it is a blessing you’re able to go on this trip anyway.  You must look at it this way.  Where ever you are going chances are that no one will know your wardrobe.  To them every outfit will look brand new.  Take this to your advantage.   I walked through a bazaar in Cairo a few years back and I can assure you no one there could care less what labels were being worn.   Although in Cairo I did see a woman wearing a burka with Dior written in sequins and I saw a Louie Vuitton patterned burka.  Now I don’t really think Dior or Louie are in the business of making designer burka’s but I gave the girls kudos for giving you couture on the streets of Cairo.  Just goes to show you that there is no city in the world where high fashion is not known even if it is knocked off.
Where ever you go this holiday season pack light if you can and mix and match outfits.    Don’t bring every jean you own just a few and then interchange them with shirts.  They’re lighter than jeans and they won’t weigh your suitcase down.   If you forget to bring an outfit its okay you’re on vacation.  You’re there to relax.  
One more thing I recently watched Isaac Mizrahi’s video blog about traveling.  I adore Isaac first of all and you should check out his website.  Anyhow, he was saying how security at the airport is just gotten so crazy that his friend accidentally left a water bottle in her carry on and it was like she had a bomb.  Security mobbed her and mind you it wasn’t intentional she just forgot to remove it from her bag.  Isaac referred to it as airport terrorism.  So be safe when you go through that full body security scan.  If you have to go through one remember to wink and smile you never know who’s watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment